Designing the perfect corporate retreat can be tricky. There are lots of factors to consider – from choosing suitable activities to choosing quality accommodation. Getting things right is essential to ensure your team has a positive retreat experience.
Although many companies offer pre-packaged corporate and business retreats, planning your own is the best way to ensure you have complete control over what you do. Planning your own retreat means you can tailor the activities to suit your team and what you hope to accomplish. Whether your aim is to get closer as a team or improve productivity, a corporate retreat in Sheffield is the perfect choice.
We’ve compiled this blog to help you plan the best Sheffield retreat possible. This blog will cover why Sheffield is the perfect retreat destination, how to choose the best accommodation and a round-up of the best activities in Sheffield for your retreat.
Why choose Sheffield for your corporate retreat?
Sheffield is one of the best destinations for a corporate retreat. You get all the benefits of a city centre location, combined with the natural beauty of the Peak District, which is just a short drive away. Whether you want delicious meals out or to try an adventurous new activity, like rock climbing or abseiling, Sheffield has everything you could possibly want out of a business retreat!
What’s the best accommodation for corporate retreats in Sheffield?
When choosing the best accommodation for your corporate retreat, there are two main choices – a hotel or a serviced apartment. If you’re unsure what a serviced apartment is, check out our blog, ‘What is a serviced apartment?’.
We might be a bit biased at Snug House, but we believe serviced apartments are the best option, especially if your team is on the smaller side. If you choose a serviced apartment or house, your team can all socialise in the communal areas while still getting privacy in their individual rooms. This means you can cook together as a team or focus on fun team-building activities all without leaving your accommodation.
Choosing serviced accommodation is perfect to strengthen your team and build better and more productive working relationships.
What are the best activities in Sheffield for a corporate retreat?
Sheffield and the surrounding areas have much to offer for your corporate retreat. Whatever type of activities your team fancies, Sheffield can deliver.
We’ll break down some of the best activities, and Snug House’s top recommendations to make your retreat one your team won’t forget.
From food halls to cosy cafes, Sheffield has a tonne of great food choices. Some of the best areas for food and drinks are the trendy Kelham Island, the popular Eccy (Ecclesall) Road, and the city centre.
Here are some of our favourites:
- Silversmiths. If you’re looking for a taste of Yorkshire, this is the place for you. Silversmiths is all about serving tasty modern British cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Cutlery Works. This food hall is home to 14 different restaurants and 3 bars (making it the biggest in the north), so the entire team can choose exactly what they want to eat.
- Tamper Coffee. Kiwi-inspired cafe culture, Tamper is the perfect place to stop for a coffee, a pastry or a sandwich (or all 3!).
- Ashoka. Delicious Indian cuisine from a restaurant serving tasty, award-winning curries on Eccy Road since 1967.
- Kelu. Located in Kelham Island’s trendy shipping container development, Krynkl, Kelu serves delicious Sardinian small plates and Italian cocktails on their rooftop bar.
- Dishidrop. This vegan Asian restaurant has a constantly changing menu (the only thing that doesn’t change is how good the food is). They focus on restaurant-quality meals, full of local and seasonal vegetables, delivered to your door.
Drinks and nights out
Sheffield is also known for its nightlife, with endless bars, pubs and clubs to choose from. Popular areas include West Street, Division Street and the trendy Kelham Island.
Here’s what we would recommend:
- Public. This trendy cocktail bar is located in what used to be a public toilet (hence the name) and is a must-visit if you’re on a retreat in Sheffield.
- Picture House Social. The former billiard hall of Abbeydale Theatre, this cool bar is home to a host of activities, from bottomless brunches to live music to ping pong.
- Gatsby. Home to tasty pizzas, loaded fries, delicious cocktails and a huge range of beer, Gatsby is also the perfect place for a late-night party.
- Church – Temple of Fun. If you’re looking for a quirky (and slightly bizarre night out) this is the place to go. Home to craft beers, cocktails and some first-class vegan food, Church’s aesthetic, inspired by South American religious iconography, is the main draw.
- K-MAX Karaoke Bar. This venue is solely devoted to KTV (Asian-style karaoke), with 12 private karaoke rooms where you and your team can sing your hearts out with no one else around.
- West Street Live. A Sheffield institution and local favourite, West Street Live is just as famous for its huge range of cheap drinks as it is for its top-notch live music.
From bowling to bouldering, Sheffield has an activity for every team. Whether you want to strengthen your working relationships or get competitive against your colleagues, have a look at some of our favourite activities:
- Lane 7. Bowling is a classic corporate retreat activity, but this venue offers a lot more. There’s also ping-pong, pool, darts and a range of classic arcade machines. Plus, a bar and tasty burgers from Fat Hippo.
- Ringinglow Archery. This is the perfect place if you’ve ever fancied trying your hand at archery. There’s also air rifle shooting, pistol shooting and axe throwing on offer.
- Battle Axe. Speaking of axe throwing, this venue is dedicated to urban axe throwing – an activity that’s rapidly becoming incredibly popular and something your team should definitely check out.
- The Climbing Hangar. Sheffield is famous for being the capital of all things climbing. The Hangar offers bouldering, indoor climbing without ropes on low walls, so it’s easy to get started even if you’ve never climbed before.
- Golf Fang. This isn’t your average crazy golf course – with 18 holes of entertainment and fantastic cocktails, this is ideal if your team members have a competitive streak.
- Locksley Distilling Co. This Sheffield distillery specialises in crafting a unique range of gin. They offer loads of experiences, from a tasting visit to the chance to make your own gin!
Work can be stressful, and one of the main aims of a corporate retreat should be to help your team relax to avoid future burnout.
Here are some of our favourite relaxation-focused activities in Sheffield:
- Yoga at the Reach. This is the perfect choice for your relaxing retreat, offering a wide range of yoga classes for beginners and seasoned practitioners.
- R1SE Urban Yoga. With 2 locations in Sheffield, R1SE offers unique yoga and pilates classes, ice baths and interesting events (such as their Gut Health Workshop).
- Kadampa Meditation Centre Sheffield. Home to some of the most calming meditation classes and workshops, this is a great place to help your team unwind!
- Kenwood Spa. This health club and spa offers a huge range of relaxing spa treatments to leave your team feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!
The gorgeous Peak District is just a short 20-minute drive from Sheffield city centre, so it makes sense to take advantage of the activities on offer here.
These are some of the best activities and experiences available:
- Wild swimming. This is a growing trend in the Peak District and throughout the UK and can be a fantastic outdoor activity (providing you don’t mind the cold). Popular locations include Three Shires Head, Mermaid’s Pool and Slippery Stones.
- Tissington Trail bike ride. You can hire a bike from Tissington Trail Ashbourne Cycle Hire and explore this beautiful, traffic-free trail!
- Hiking. This is the classic Peak District activity and the best way to experience the area’s natural beauty. Check out the best trails on All Trails.
- Peaks and Paddles. This company offers popular outdoor activities, such as kayaking and abseiling, to corporate groups. Try the activities you’ve always wanted to try and rest assured that you’ll be looked after by professional guides and instructors.
- Lost and Earth Adventures. Why not try one of their MAD (multi-activity days)? You can choose from climbing, abseiling, caving, canoeing and gorge walking in the heart of the Peak District.
Training and networking
If you want your corporate retreat to have more of a focus on learning and training than team-building, Sheffield has a wide range of training and networking opportunities.
Check out Eventbrite for more information on all the upcoming networking events in Sheffield. Have a look at Live and Learn Consultancy for their range of corporate training courses in Sheffield or Pitman Training for their huge variety of highly rated training courses.
Quality serviced apartments for corporate retreats in Sheffield
If you’re planning a corporate retreat in Sheffield, our serviced accommodation should be your top choice. Snug House offers a range of serviced apartments and houses that are perfect for corporate retreats in Sheffield.
All our self-catered accommodation is conveniently located for trips into the city centre for activities, drinks and meals out. You and your colleagues will get your own private space to bond together, which you wouldn’t find in a hotel. Our serviced apartments come with super-fast broadband making it simple to get some work done and high-definition smart TVs with Netflix pre-installed so your team can relax and unwind.
Here’s what you can expect from our serviced apartments:
- 24-hour check-in, so you can quickly check in when your team arrives, no matter how late it is.
- A fully equipped kitchen with utensils, pots and pans, crockeries and cutleries, in case your team fancies cooking.
- A digital city guide with our top recommendation of what Sheffield has to offer, including the best restaurants, bars, and activities.
- Helpful guest support throughout your stay and detailed information about your property and where everything is.
- A washing machine, iron, ironing board and airer just in case you need to do any laundry.
- Complimentary toiletries, including shampoo, body wash, and hand wash.
- Comprehensive cleaning every seven days, plus fresh towels and high-quality linen.
- The option to convert king beds into two single beds (and vice versa) in some of our apartments. Perfect for colleagues sharing a room.